Bidders Sought for Federal Courthouse Project in Detroit

Contractor Outreach Meeting Announced

The Christman Company, construction manager at-risk for the Theodore J. Levin U.S. Courthouse Alteration Project in Detroit, is hosting a contractor outreach and informational meeting for interested bidders on Thursday, October 15, 2015 from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. in Room 140 A, B & C at Cobo Center, 1 Washington Blvd., Detroit, 48226.  Parking is available in three Cobo Center garages at a cost of $10 per vehicle. Organizations attending should register on-site at the event and may call 313-908-6060 with advance questions.

The contractor meeting will be co-hosted by representatives from the General Services Administration (GSA), project architect EYP Architecture and Engineering, and U.S. Department of Labor Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP.) The project team is seeking bidders from the following organization types: metro-Detroit small business including HUBZone, SDB (Small Disadvantaged Business), VOSB (Veteran Owned Small Business), SDVOSB (Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business), WOSB (Woman Owned Small Business), ANC (Alaska Native Corporation), Native American, and large business enterprises.

The Courthouse, which was constructed in 1934, houses the Federal Courts for the Eastern District of Michigan. Based on a major buildings systems study which took place in 2013, the four-year, multi-phase project will correct serious building deficiencies including replacement or repair of a multitude of building systems. Among the work categories for which bidders will be sought are replacement of M.E.P. systems, life safety improvements, passenger elevator upgrades, and many others. Plans call for the 700,000 square foot building to remain fully occupied during the project.

The Theodore Levin U.S. Courthouse is a Neo-Classical Revival building with Modernistic traits, and was designed by notable Detroit architects Robert O. Derrick (best known for designing the Henry Ford Museum) and Branson V. Gambler. The building was named for Federal Judge the Honorable Theodore Levin who served on the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan from his appointment by President Harry Truman in 1946 until his death in 1970. His nephews are the former Senator Carl Levin and Representative Sander Levin, both of Michigan.

The courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places with the rest of Detroit’s Financial District in 2009. The building, whose main entrance is on West Lafayette Boulevard, occupies a full city block bounded by West Lafayette Boulevard (north), Fort Street (south), Washington Boulevard (east), and Shelby Street (west). The building contains 24 courtrooms, six of which are considered historic.

Back to News

Media Contact

Angela Bailey
Vice President of Brand Strategy and Communications
517-374-0817

Project Webcams

For those who still feel the thrill of a child in the sandbox every time you see a crane or dump truck, or for those who simply want to tune in visually on the progress of our projects, check out our project webcams for a look at what's happening on site.