Christman Construction Company. Since 1894.

Georgia College & State University

Bell Hall

Milledgeville, Georgia

  • Designation:
  • Contract Type:
  • Scope of Services:
  • Cost Range:
  • Size:
  • Architect:
  • Completion:
  • National Register District
  • Construction Management at Risk
  • Historic Restoration
  • $6,933,000
  • 51,200 s.f.
  • KPS Group
  • September 2006

Joint Venture Partner: Garbutt Construction

2007 AGC Build Georgia Award

Historic Bell Hall, a Colonial-styled student housing facility, was the largest residence hall on the campus of Georgia College & State University when it was built in 1928 to house around two hundred women during the presidency of Dr. J. Luther Beeson. Located in Milledgeville, Georgia, it is a three-story red brick building featuring a two-story portico with balcony supported by heroic fluted Corinthian columns. Bell Hall resides in a historic district listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the National Park Service.

Bell Hall previously housing 190 students in four-person and two-person suites. The renovation of this facility included mechanical and electrical systems upgrades, new interior finishes, reorganization of suite arrangements to house 194 beds, installation of a new elevator, exterior facade restoration, and restoration of common areas.

This project posed many unique challenges. First, the project was on a very tight schedule in order to meet the housing needs of the campus – all while the campus was fully occupied. Another challenge was that the Bell Hall parking lot is shared with other facilities that are occupied, making parking and logistics difficult. Throughout this project, special attention was paid to the structural modifications due to the fragile existing clay tile structure. Also included was the removal of three full-height stair towers, in place of which an elevator was installed along with a new stair tower to meet current code. The remaining two locations were replaced with study and laundry spaces. Finally, a new terrace patio was added to the facility to offer a casual meeting place for students and visitors.

Click to view photos below

Bell Hall
Bell Hall
Bell Hall
Bell Hall
Bell Hall
Bell Hall