National Trust for Historic Preservation
President Lincolnís Cottage and the Robert H. Smith Visitor Education Center Historic Renovation
- Contract Type:
- Scope of Services:
- Cost Range:
- LEED: Gold
- Construction Management
- Historic Renovation
- RMJM (Then Hillier Architecture)
- February 2008
2009 USGBC - National Chapter Region LEED New Construction: Major Renovation Project of the Year Award
2009 Victorian Society of America Preservation Award
2008 Mayor's Award for Excellence in Historic Preservation
The site of the Lincoln Cottage and Visitor Education Center is a National Monument and is located at the Armed Forces Retirement Home in Washington, D.C. The Lincoln Cottage was a presidential summer home used most famously by President Abraham Lincoln as a personal retreat during the Civil War. The Cottage is on the grounds of the Soldier's Home, which was founded in 1851 as a secure and honorable retirement residence for homeless and disabled war veterans and spanning 250 acres. President Lincoln and his family resided at the Cottage during summer and autumn months throughout the Civil War (1862-64).
The President Lincoln and Soldiers' Home National Monument encompasses several structures on a 2.3-acre parcel of land. The centerpiece is a Gothic Revival style cottage, known as the Lincoln Cottage, which is situated on a rise overlooking Washington, D.C. three miles north of the U.S. Capitol. President Lincoln and his family occupied the Cottage, and possibly other quarters, on the grounds of what was then known as the U.S. Military Asylum seasonally over three years. The National Monument also includes a Visitor Education Center building. Both the Cottage and the entire National Monument are commonly referred to as the "Lincoln Cottage."
Christman's $8 million contract included work on the Cottage, the visitor center and the surrounding landscape to make it suitable for public visitation and educational functions. The project included installing all new mechanical and electrical systems, plaster conservation, lead paint abatement, detailed finish carpentry, and restoring detailed exhibits and period furnishings.
The Visitor Center was designed to fulfill LEED Gold Certification upon completion. Christman coordinated all LEED submissions for the project.