A Name Takes a Long Time to Build: Our History
The roots of The Christman Company were established in South Bend, Indiana in 1863, when Heinrich G. Christman, a 27 year-old German immigrant with little more than a team of draft horses and a dream of being an independent American businessman, began a “Teamster and Excavating” contracting service in South Bend, Indiana. His strong values were basic, almost simplistic, but they were to become a foundation for the company which would bear his name through the industrial era and into the 21st century. They included honesty and respect for self and others, together with a willingness to work hard, learn on the job and feel pride in producing the best possible product.
In 1894, H.G. Christman’s son Henry, a carpenter, founded Christman Brothers, a partnership which evolved into the H.G. Christman Company, the original parent of today’s Christman organization. In 1915, the firm established its Lansing, Michigan headquarters and in 1927, The Christman Company was established as a separate corporation from the H.G. Christman Company. The firm operated continuously from the same downtown Lansing location from 1927 until 2008 when the headquarters location official changed to the historic landmark Mutual Building – rechristened The Christman Building – also in downtown Lansing, near the Michigan Capitol. Full-service regional offices in Grand Rapids, Livonia, Traverse City, and Alexandria, Virginia have been added as the organization has grown, as have affiliate service divisions including Christman Capital Investment Group – Christman’s real estate development division – and Christman Constructors, Inc., our self-perform group of over 200 highly skilled craftspeople providing excavation, demolition, concrete, carpentry, and other “hands on” industrial construction services.
- Founded in 1894 by H.G. Christman in South Bend, Indiana, opening our Lansing, Michigan office in 1915, and incorporation in the State of Michigan in 1927.
- Annual revenues of more than $400 million, with an average of $1.5 billion dollars of construction currently underway.
- Fully management-owned, with every project overseen by a corporate officer who is also a shareholder with a vested interest in each client’s complete satisfaction.
- The financial strength to properly staff our projects and meet all commitments.
- Ranking of 172 in the 2009 Engineering News-Record ENR 400 list of top contractors nationally.
- Award-winning safety program, with a current Experience Modification Rating (EMR) of .78, and recognition with the Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration (MIOSHA) Gold Safety Award and Accident Fund Insurance Company of America’s first-ever “Policyholder of the Year” award in 2006 for an exemplary claims record out of 45,000 policyholders.
- Nationally recognized historic preservation group.
- Listed by Modern Healthcare in its top sector of healthcare constructors nationally.
- Six full-service offices nationwide — Michigan offices in Lansing, Livonia Grand Rapids, and Traverse City, as well as an Alexandria, Virginia office serving the mid-Atlantic/Washington, D.C. region and an Augusta, Georgia office serving the Southeast U.S. region— in addition to multiple strategic partnerships which extend our reach to Indiana, South Carolina, North Carolina, and beyond.
- Experience in 34 states
- The industry’s best, most comprehensive pre-construction and planning services, with a “whole building” approach and a wide range of value analysis tools such as life cycle costing.
- A caliber of work recognized by many local, state and national awards and honors.
- Construction Management
- General Contracting
- Program Management
- Facilities Planning and Consulting
- Real Estate Development
- Self-Perform Capabilities
Expertise and Markets Served
With an emphasis on teamwork, planning and innovative services, we focus on adding value to the bottom line of every project. Strong leadership, forward-thinking management and application of the latest technologies have propelled us into our hard-won position as one of the nation’s preeminent construction services firms.
With 116 years of experience, our proficiency extends to virtually every commercial construction market. The areas to which we bring special expertise include:
- Facilities Consulting
- Higher Education
- Historic Preservation
- K12 Education
- Multi-Unit Residential
- Real Estate Development
- Retail and Hospitality
- Science and Technology
- Sustainable/High Performance Buildings
Our People: Experts, Leaders, Partners
- 150 experienced, full-time professionals – including a full complement of project managers, superintendents, planners, value analysts, LEED accredited professionals, estimators, architects, in-house mechanical/electrical coordinators, information specialists, engineers, accountants, and other specialists.
- Through Christman University, a comprehensive training and development program, our people are vested with the specialized tools required to deliver on our pledge of the highest level of service.
- A diverse corporate culture built around the values of The Christman Way, including teamwork, mutual respect, recognition of excellence, a passion for our work, competitive spirit, and a focus on long-term relationships.
Learn more about our affiliate companies by clicking the logos below.Through Christman Capital Investment Group , we offer a full range of real estate development services including build-to-suit and lease back, enabling us to partner with clients from beginning to end to meet their real estate needs
Christman Constructors, Inc., a self-perform group of up to 200 highly-skilled craftsmen and women, allows us to provide in-house capabilities, when needed, of excavation, concrete, demolition, carpentry, and other construction trades.